Sunday, July 28, 2013
“On the spectrum of emotion, bringing The Lumineers to Newport Folk Fest 2013 is right on up there with how most New Englanders feel every time another artist is announced. It is an indescribable personal experience that you also get to share with thousands of other fans. After thinking about how far the band has come in such a short time, I have loosely categorized types of fans that will be sharing this moment.
It starts with your one Music-phile friend from Denver that has been pushing the Lumineers since 2005. Coincidently this same friend probably responded to The Lumineers Craigslist advertisement looking for a cellist (only because they wanted to be part of the band). Thankfully, your friend was not selected because to be honest, your friend doesn’t even play cello- but has been preaching The Lumineer’s good word since the beginning.
Next, you have the large group of fans that encompasses all who heard “Ho Hey” on the radio, TV…well, everywhere. You know something is special is brewing when even NPR considers them newsworthy.
Finally, you have the fans that have recently taken residence under a rock, and hearing The Lumineers for the first time. These are always the best fans, the late bloomers- often interpreting what they just heard by adding a “Y” to the end of all their descriptive adjectives: “Super Folky, Trendy, kind of Singer-Songwritery, yet Dance-y”. They remind the rest of us why The Lumineers fit in perfectly to the Newport Folk Fest line up. After all, bringing all types of fans together for great music and learning about new artists is 80% of the Newport Folk Fest magic. The other 20% is a mixture of hula hoops, sail boats, new friends, shoes off dance parties, the smell of those toasted sugar-coated almond samples that will always pull you in while walking from Harbor Stage to Fort Stage, and turning around and realizing you are watching The Lumineers on a peninsula with the sun setting behind you.”
– Erin Briskie
I’m a native Texan that has somehow found her way to Providence, RI, and a Newport Folk Fest attendee for 4 years. It’s an interesting world, I just write it down.
Artists and schedule are subject to change.